Fjordin Crossin is Back!
Join us May 15, 2022 in Hoodsport, WA
What is FjordinCrossin?
In 1805 a special brand of Aquavit, Linie Aquavit, crossed the Equator from Norway bound for the East Indies to be sold, but returned to Norway in 1807, unsold.
It turned out that the sea voyage had a positive effect on the taste of the Aquavit. The old sailing ships have vanished, but Linie Aquavit still crosses the Equator on the deck of a ship and returns via Australia. It has become a celebrated Aquavit tradition.
During the festival, the Hardware Distillery launches a barrel of aged Dill Aquavit on Lee Geist’s boat, the Twanoh.
It crosses the Hood Canal from the Port of Hoodsport to Tahuya and back.
- On-site registration for Paddle the Canal Challenge opens.
- Food vendors at the Hoodsport dock are open. Local grilled oysters and Scandinavian specialties are on the menu.
- The Aquavit Grotto (21+), serving cocktails, is open.
- Available from the Hood Canal School parking lot at the intersection of Hwy 101 and Hwy 106 to Hoodsport.
- In Hoodsport the bus will stop at the old Columbia Bank building parking lot.
- If it is raining, there is shelter at both locations.
- The bus will run continuously from 9:30 am to 4 pm. It will leave the school on the half hour, and leave Hoodsport on the quarter hour.
- At the Hoodsport dock, the barrel of Aquavit on the Twanoh will set sail.
- Paddle the Canal participants follow the Twanoh.
2:00 pm (approximately)
- The Twanoh returns to the Hoodsport dock.
- Paddle the Canal participants return to the dock.
- Awards ceremony and prizes for Paddle the Canal.
2:30 – 5:00 pm
- Post-party in Hoodsport.
- Cooking demos at Olympic Stove & Spa.
- Shopping at the local shops.
Aquavit Grotto under the pier
CANCELED – Re-enactment of the original barrel of Norwegian Aquavit across the equator. The event is sponsored by Hoodsport Hardware Distillery. The Lady Alderbook will cruise for 2 hours, and join the flotilla of vessels escorting the barrel across the Canal. During the Cruise you will be served the Fjord Mist Cocktail, using the Hardware Distillery Aquavit. After the Cruise you are invited to join in the festivities in Hoodsport (approx. 20 min drive) where the festival will showcase Scandinavian fare and Aquavit tastings.
Ticket price: $65 plus taxes/fees per person
Boarding: 12:00 pm. | Cruise: 12:30 – 2:30pm
Paddle the Canal
To celebrate the aquavit launch, Hood Canal Event’s Paddle the Canal Challenge will follow the MV Twanoh in canoes, kayaks, SUPs and small sailboats. Don’t have a vessel? No worries, Hood Canal Adventures will have seagoing kayaks (and safety info) on site for those that pre-register and reserve a single or double. Registration here!