Fjordin Crossin celebrates one of the great traditions of Aquavit,
which is an old world Scandinavian spirit.
In 1805 a special brand of Aquavit, Linie Aquavit, crossed the Equator from Norway bound for the East Indies to be sold, but returned to Norway in 1807, unsold.
It turned out that the sea voyage had a positive effect on the taste of the Aquavit. The old sailing ships have vanished, but Linie Aquavit still crosses the Equator on the deck of a ship and returns via Australia. It has become a celebrated Aquavit tradition.
On June 29, the Hardware Distillery will launch a barrel of aged Dill Aquavit on Lee Geist’s boat, the Twanoh. It will cross the Hood Canal from the Port of Hoodsport to Tahuya and back.
Third annual Fjordin Crossin • Hoodsport Dock • Saturday, June 29
- On-site registration for Paddle the Canal begins.
- The Lady Alderbrook departs from the dock at the Alderbrook Resort.
- Food vendors at the Hoodsport dock are open. Local oysters and Scandinavian specialties are on the menu.
- The Aquavit Garden, serving cocktails is open.
- The barrel of Aquavit is taken to the Hoodsport dock.
- At the Hoodsport dock, the barrel of Aquavit on the Twanoh will set sail.
- Paddle the Canal participants follow the Twanoh.
- Those on board the Lady Alderbrook toast the festivities.
2:00 pm (approximately)
- The Twanoh returns to the Hoodsport dock.
- Paddle the Canal participants return to the dock.
- Awards ceremony and prizes for Paddle the Canal.
2:30 – 5:00 pm
- Post-party in Hoodsport.
- Bottling Aquavit at the distillery.
- Cooking demos at Olympic Stove & Spa.
- Shopping at the local shops.
Stay for the After-party in downtown Hoodsport.
- Cooking demos at Olympic Stove and Spa
- Coffee and ice cream at Hoodsport Coffee
- Original art at Sunshine Creations
- Friends of the Library book sale in front of the distillery
- And don’t forget to stop by the distillery for the barrel of Aquavit.
This year the Aquavit Garden, sponsored by The Salmon Center, is serving Aquavit cocktails and cooking oysters. Look for them under a tent on the beach at the Hoodsport Dock.
FjordinCrossin is a great event for families with activities for everyone, young and old!
If you would prefer to enjoy the race from the comfort of the Lady Alderbrook, she will be departing the Alderbrook Dock and sailing toward the Hoodsport Dock to view the event.